Construction update - PRSD Central Operations
The new steel shop building includes six bays for school bus mechanic work (two of the bays have drive-on bus hoists), a smaller bay for PRSD service vehicles as well as a two-stall wash bay. The structure will be joined to the existing Central Operations building through a connecting link. The new shop is expected to be completed and operational by September 1, 2021.
Renovations inside Central Operations include four office spaces, a general Transportation reception area, a small meeting room, driver training room, and a bus driver waiting area and workspace. Transportation office staff will move into the Central Operations building between February 11- 17, 2021.
“The construction of the new facility and the renovations to the existing Central Operations building are nearing completion and we are very pleased with the benefits that have already come with centralizing services in PRSD” says PRSD Board Chair Darren Kuester. “Having all our central services and staff under one roof allows for greater efficiencies and cost savings – which means we can more effectively serve and support our students.”
Central Operations construction history and timelines:
● June 22, 2018: Board approves to move Central Office to former Grimshaw Jr Sr High School (GHS)
● December 2018: PRSD facilities staff (carpenters, electricians and plumbers) moved to GHS, now known as PRSD Central Operations to begin renovation and construction work.
● June 2019: PRSD technology staff moved to Central Operations and put in place technology systems
● July 2019: Central Office staff moved to Central Operations
● February 27, 2020: Board approves construction of transportation facility and to move staff to Central Operations
● February 11-17, 2021: Transportation office staff move to Central Operations
● May/June 2021: Transportation inventories to be moved from Fairview and Peace River Shops to Central Operations in Grimshaw
● August 2021: School bus mechanics and Shop Support Worker move to Central Operations
Central Operations renovation summary:
● Reception area (former GHS office area)
● 20 offices (former classrooms)
● 3 meeting rooms (drama room and former classrooms)
● Board room (former classrooms)
● Staff room (former library)
● Facilities work space for carpentry, electrical and plumbing (former gymnasium)
● Transportation Warehouse/Inventory Storage area (former Industrial Arts and partial Home Economics classroom)
● School Bus Driver Training School (former Home Economics classroom)