Introducing the 2017-2021 PRSD board of trustees
For immediate release
October 31, 2017- Earlier today, Peace River School Division (PRSD) held its swearing-in ceremony for the 2017-2021 board of trustees and annual organizational meeting where Board Chair and Vice-Chair were elected.
Darren Kuester, Ward three trustee was re-elected as Board Chair and Delainah Velichka, Ward seven trustee was elected as Vice-Chair.
Darren Kuester is starting his fourth term on the board and fifth consecutive year as Board Chair.
“I am humbled to continue to serve our school communities and excited to work with the new board” says Kuester. “The new board brings a wide range of perspectives and varying backgrounds that will serve our school communities very well and I am excited to get to know, and work with the new board. I would also like to take this opportunity to express sincere thanks to our former board members for their service to students, families, staff and the communities they served.”
Delainah Velichka is beginning her second term on the board and her first year as Vice-Chair.
“I am honoured to continue to serve on the board and excited for the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead while serving in this new capacity” says Velichka. “I am passionate to bring the voice of students, parents, staff and community members to the board table and I am dedicated to the learning, success and well-being of our students and staff throughout the division.”
The October 16, 2017 school board trustee elections resulted in five new board members for PRSD with elections taking place in four PRSD wards and acclamations in three. The 2017-2021 board of trustees is as follows:
- Ward 1 – Christopher Schneider – acclaimed - Red Earth Creek, Nampa and Peace River area
- Ward 2 – Crystal Owens – elected - Peace River and rural Peace River
- Ward 3 – Darren Kuester – elected - rural Peace River, Weberville, Dixonville, Deadwood, Manning and Hawk Hills
- Ward 4 – Fred Churchman – acclaimed - Peace River, rural Peace River, Grimshaw and Shaftsbury
- Ward 5 – Lori Leitch – elected - Grimshaw, rural Grimshaw, rural Fairview, Berwyn, Brownvale, Whitelaw, Bluesky and Deer Hills
- Ward 6 – Robyn Robertson – acclaimed - Fairview and rural Fairview
- Ward 7 – Delainah Velichka – elected - Hines Creek, rural Hines Creek, Worsley, Bear Canyon, Cleardale and Clear Hills
During the organizational meeting, trustees also determined committees they will represent, appointed trustee representation to external agencies and scheduled dates and times for regular board meetings for the 2017-2018 school year.
Regular board meetings are open to the public and are held at PRSD central office located at 10018-101 street, Peace River. A complete list of meeting dates can be viewed on PRSD’s website under “Event Calendar”.
Board photo - Back row: Christopher Schneider, Delainah Velichka, Fred Churchman, Darren Kuester, Paul Bennett, Karen Penney
Front row: Crystal Owens, Lori Leitch, Robyn Robertson, Rhonda Freeman
Middle- Board Chair Darren Kuester and Vice-Chair Delainah Velichka
Bottom - Lori Leitch, Ward 5 trustee
View more photos from the swearing-in ceremony here